Monday, August 29, 2011

Encouragement

Sure I can just pick this up after a couple years away, right?

Well, in any case...

The new store manager at my job decided that Sunday and Monday should be my days off, and I am very excited about this. Yesterday was my first Sunday off (though it happened last week too, it was split days off) and I slept in until the luxurious hour of 7am. Drank coffee, wasted time on the internets, and then decided to go outside. By then it was about 10:30 and the heat of the day was starting to climb. Brilliantly, I wore black shirts.

I took my banjo with me to the arroyo bridge I frequent (amazing acoustics) and set about really getting into the groove for the first time since I left to visit PDX a couple weeks ago. At one point I focused outwardly for a moment and saw a girl (somewhere in the 11-14 range I think) perched on the slope of the arroyo watching me. I waved, she waved back.

As I continued to play she came down into the trough, took off her flip flops, and started playing in the water (there was a bit flowing through that morning, though I was playing on dry cement). After ten or fifteen minutes of water dancing while I cycled through jams I am refining, she (and the person she was with who sat out of view on the bench the whole time) made to leave, but paused as she climbed out up the nearest slope and turned to me. "You have a talent," she stated, her tone both serious and generous.

Dumbstruck, all I could manage was a heartfelt,"Thank you." With a smile, of course.

2 comments:

  1. Very cool story. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way cool. So glad you're getting out of the house. :)

    ReplyDelete